ROLLER COASTER REVIEWS

Friday, November 18, 2011

THE VOYAGE - HOLIDAY WORLD, SANTA CLAUS, INDIANA


Once you’ve developed a passion for roller coasters, you will go to almost any lengths to indulge it.  Last September I applied for a credit card which would give me 25,000 air miles just for signing up, for the sole purpose of financing a trip to Holiday World to ride The Voyage in May.  I wanted to find out what all the fuss was about -  why The Voyage got the 2010 Golden Ticket award for #1 wooden roller coaster and why so many so-called experts put it at the top of their lists.   So off I went on my own voyage, more of a pilgrimage, to ride this colossus.  And I must say that it was a hell of a ride.  The chain lift ascent up the first hill was remarkably smooth (about the only part of the ride which was, and I mention the ascent only because I am not a fan of chain lifts); so far, so good.  The first, sizeable (154-foot) drop at a 66-degree angle was wonderful; I would even go as far as to say thrilling.

The rest of the ride was pretty spectacular, with plenty of airtime, great scenery and a superabundance of highly banked turns.  The Voyage feels totally out of control and never lets up for a moment except at one point during the latter part of the ride when it loses speed before entering a tunnel with a small curve. (This is the only one of the many tunnels which has a curve.)  The Voyage is notable for its triple down,  during which the train descends underground, drops again in the dark and makes another plunge.  All in all, a great ride, and a relatively long one.  However,  as good as The Voyage is, it does tend to be rather rough, and after 7 rides I was feeling the wear and tear. The succession of overbanked turns is almost too much of a good thing. That being said, this coaster is nevertheless once of the best wooden coasters I have ever ridden.  I give The Voyage 5 out of 5 stars.  For more information about the park and rides, visit www.holidayworld.com.  Photo of The Voyage courtesy of www.coasterimage.com, a great website for roller coaster photos.





No comments:

Post a Comment