ROLLER COASTER REVIEWS

Sunday, June 24, 2012

LIGHTNING RACER

LIGHTNING RACER
HERSHEY PARK


Because this coaster has been consistently ranked among the top 25 wooden coasters by Amusement Today, I decided that it was a must-ride.    Like Gemini at Cedar Point,  Lightning Racer is a duelling coaster with a race to the finish line.   There are two trains, Thunder and Lightning.  Although the track layout is such that both trains pretty much go through the same drill although at different times,  I found the Lightning side to be a better ride because of the superior airtime.  ( Despite that I found that Thunder wins the race more often than not.) The first curving drop of 90 feet was good enough and this coaster has a number of nicely banked turns with a decent amount of airtime.   It has the feel of a classic woodie without being at all rough; I experienced no discomfort whatsoever during the course of the ride.    One thing I didn’t like is the fact that each row has a single seatbelt for both riders, which feels somewhat weird for a single rider like myself.   That being said, I found it to be a fun ride – but by no means exceptional.   I think that Lightning Racer is somewhat overrated but have come to like it better every time I ride it.  3 ½ out of 5 stars.  First photograph courtesy of Coaster Image, a great site for coaster pictures: www.coasterimage.com. For more information about rides at Hershey Park,  visit www.hersheypark.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment